Monday, January 16, 2012

Work in Progress: BLT Soup

A few years ago I had BLT soup in a restaurant. And I loved it! I searched online for similar recipes. I found BLT soup recipes, but none that were like the one I had. So fine, I'll just try to figure it out myself.
The biggest problem I am having is it coming out too sweet from the soy milk. I think I'll try it with a different milk, just haven't decided which to try next.
Now, alot of the time I don't measure, and this is one of those times. So bear with me.

Ingrediants:
  • 1 lb bacon
  • 1/2 - 1 head lettuce, I like green leaf, but any will do
  • 6 tomatoes, or use some grape, or roma, or use less with a larger tomato, only rule is it to use fresh, not canned
  • bacon drippings
  • parsley
  • salt and pepper
  • crushed red pepper
  • flour
  • milk alternative (I used soy, but as I said too sweet)
Fry bacon, reserve the drippings. Shred lettuce, and dice tomatoes.
Using bacon drippings and flour make a roux. Season with parsley, salt, pepper, and a small amount of crushed red pepper. Add milk. Simmer, until milk begins to thicken a bit.
Add bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes. Cook for awhile. It can be ready in 5 minutes, or hold at a low temp for an hour.

Enjoy.!

No comments:

Post a Comment